The Hemobag® is the only autotransfusion product on the market salvaging and concentrating all autologous whole blood fractions and constituents for Cardiac, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, helping to avoid unnecessary allogeneic blood product use. This technique offers perfusionists a new role in optimizing hemostasis and homeostasis hours after the termination of surgery. Saving More Blood, Reducing Costs, and Improving Patient Outcomes!
- Cell Washer ATS Waste Calculator & Cost Estimator
- Feature article on the Hemobag®
- Also see Medical Hemostat
- Flyer (longer version): Hemobag® Autologous Whole Blood Salvage Device for Surgery
- Flyer (short version): The Hemobag® (what cell washers discard that the Hemobag® retains)
- Recent Hemobag® flyer
- Earlier Hemobag® brochure
- Riley JB, Samolyk KA, Lich BV, Moskowitz B, Shander A. Results from the Perfusion.com cardiac surgery hematocrit trend survey: observations and evidence-based recommendations.January 2006.
- Intraoperative Autologous Blood Salvage and The hemobag®
- Delaney E, Rosinski D, Ellis H, Samolyk KA, Riley JB An In-Vitro Comparison between Hemobag® and Non-Hemobag® Ultrafiltration Methods of Salvaging Circuit Blood Following Cardiopulmonary Bypass JECT 2010;42:128–133.
- Samolyk KA. State-of-the-art blood management in cardiac surgery. Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2009 Jun;13(2):118-21.
- Riley JB, Samolyk KA. On-line autotransfusion waste calculator. JECT 2008;40:68-73.
- Beckmann SR, Carlile D, Bissinger RC, Burrell M, Winkler T, Shely WW. Improved coagulation and blood conservation in the golden hours after cardiopulmonary bypass. J Extra Corpor Technol 2007 Jun;39(2):103-8.
- Moskowitz, DM, Klein JJ, Shander A, Perelman SI, McMurtry KA, Cousineau KM, Ergin MA. Use of the Hemobag® for modified ultrafiltration in a Jehovah’s Witness patient undergoing cardiac surgery. JECT 2006;38:265–70.
- Samolyk KA, Beckmann SR, Bissinger RC. A new practical technique to reduce allogeneic blood exposure and hospital costs while preserving clotting factors after cardiopulmonary bypass: the hemobag®. Perfusion 2005 Oct;20(6):343–9.
- Roeder B, Graham S, Searles B, Darling E. Evaluation of the hemobag®: a novel ultrafiltration system for circuit salvage. J Extra Corpor Technol 2004 Jun;36(2):162–5.
Posters & Presentations
Unless indicated otherwise
Powerpoint Posters: Download, select Edit Slide from EDIT menu, then VIEW menu - Zoom - 200%
- Samolyk KA. State of the art blood management in cardiac surgery. Outcomes 2008: Key West Meeting May 21st-24th, 2008, Barbados, WI
- Samolyk K, Beckman S. Have we missed something? Whole blood conservation and management in cardiac surgery: costs, ethics and best practices.(Poster, SABM 2006 Annual Meeting) Transfusion 2007;47(2):3A.
- Improved coagulation after cardiopulmonary bypass using the hemobag® (Promedica cardiothoracic surgeons meeting, Beverly Hills, Oct. 5-7, 2006) Select Open, then Edit Slide from EDIT menu.
- Abstract: A method to reduce allogeneic blood exposure and hospital costs while preserving clotting factor concentration after cardiopulmonary bypass ("Outcomes Key West Meeting 2006")
- Is it the best practice to throw away clotting factors and plasma proteins? Achieving the maximum patient benefit from residual ECC blood based on evidence (The Boston Meeting, New Foundation of Perfusion. The Cardiac Surgery Team Meeting. Oct 2005) [1.43 MB]
- Reducing allogeneic blood exposure and preserving blood cell, protein and clotting factor concentration during cardiac surgery: Update on the hemobag® (Society for the Advancement of Blood Management International Meeting, Phoenix, Sept. 2005)
- Poster: A method to reduce allogeneic blood exposure and hospital costs while preserving clotting factor concentration after cardiopulmonary bypass (Xth Annual "International Society of Blood Substitutes" Meeting, Providence RI, June 12th–15th 2005)
- Poster: The hemobag®: a novel whole blood salvaging technique and device for salvaging blood from ECCs(Therapeutic Filtration & Extracorporeal Circulation, July 9, 2004, London, England)
- The Use of the hemobag® to improve clinical outcomes in any blood management program (AmSECT 12th Annual Coagulation & Hemostasis Symposium, Jackson Hole, Wyoming: Aug.18-24, 2004)