In the News
- B. Blasi, A. D’Alessandro, N. Ramundo, L. Zolla. Red blood cell storage and cell morphology. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-3148.2012.01139.x 7 MAR 2012
- Rutger A. Middelburg, Barbara Borkent, Mart Jansen, Leo M.G. van de Watering, Johanna C. Wiersum-Osselton, Martin R. Schipperus, Erik A.M. Beckers, Ernest Briët, Johanna G. van der Bom. Storage time of blood products and transfusion-related acute lung injury. DOI: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2011.03352.x 26 SEP 2011
- Stale blood linked to dangerous infections (24 Nov. 2010)
- Blood-clotting drug given to wounded soldiers can cause heart attacks (15 Nov. 2010)
- First case of HIV from blood transfusion traced to Missouri donor (22 Oct. 2010)
- They are supposed to save lives, but could a blood transfusion give you a heart attack? (8 Aug 2010)
- New threats to US blood supply (24 May 2010)
- National effort scrutinizes costly blood transfusion complications (12 Apr. 2010)
- XMRV probed as potential risk to blood supply
- Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-related Virus
- UK: Children to get filtered blood transfusions to beat mad cow disease (28 Feb. 2010)
- National Healthcare Safety Network - Biovigilance component
- More people could have 'mad cow disease' than previously thought (18 Dec. 2009)
- Study to look into state of stored blood (9 Dec. 2009)
- What's the Shelf Life of Blood? Focus on Whether Older Donations Impair Recovery of Transfusion Recipients (1 Dec. 2009)
- Shining a light on the safety of blood transfusions (10 Nov. 2009)
- Blood products should be used conservatively in heart-surgery patients, trial shows (28 Oct. 2009)
- Blood transfusions 'double risk of infection for heart bypass patients' (News item, 31 July 2009)
- Blood transfusion from another person doubles infection risk after CABG surgery. BMJ 2009;339:b3147.
- Rogers MAM , Blumberg N, Saint S Langa KM, Nallamothu BK. Hospital variation in transfusion and infection after cardiac surgery: a cohort study. BMC Medicine 2009 31 Jul, 7:37doi:10.1186/1741-7015-7-37.
- National hemovigilance pilot program launches in USA to track transfusion-associated adverse events(7 May 2009)
- UK could import more blood to counter BSE risk from transfusions (18 Feb. 2009)
- 'Second wave' of mad cow disease could hit Britain, scientists warn (7 Dec. 2008)
- 1st confirmed case of Anaplasma phagocytophilum transmitted via blood transfusion
- Study claims old blood boosts infection risks | Another report
- vCJD may be transmitted more efficiently via transfusion than thought(6 Sept. 2008)
- Expert claims old blood is riskier than blood donated by gay men (14 Aug. 2008)
- Lung injuries from transfusions have doctors stumped(20 June 2008)
- what are the risks of a blood transfusion? (Anemia Institute for Research & Education, Canada)
- Use Of hemoglobin-based blood substitutes associated with increased risk of death, heart attack, study shows (29 Apr. 2008)
- Many blood transfusions may increase risks, doctors warn :UK study found dangers for heart surgery patients (24 Apr. 2008)
- Blood storage impacts survival rate in cardiac surgery patients (20 Mar. 2008)
- Koch CG, et al. Duration of red-cell storage and complications after cardiac surgery.N Engl J Med 2008 Mar 20;358(12):1229-39.
- China plant played role in Baxter heparin linked to 4 deaths (14 Feb. 2008)
- Man given wrong blood transfusion in Florida hospital dies (21 Jan. 2008)
- Blood transfusions may be harmful to some patients (4 Jan. 2008)
- Adverse effects (Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne)
- Blood transfusion may explain women's greater cardiac surgery mortality (3 Dec. 2007)
- Are blood transfusions safe? Study links blood transfusions to surgery complications in women (3 Dec. 2007)
- RBC transfusions may increase risks for heart surgery patients(BBC, 27 Nov. 2007)
- Decrease of nitric oxide in stored blood may explain transfusion risk
- Blood simple (The Economist)
- Bennett-Guerrero E, Veldman TH, Doctor A, Telen MJ, Ortel TL, Reid TS, Mulherin MA, Zhu H, Buck RD, Califf RM, McMahon TJ. Evolution of adverse changes in stored RBCs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Oct 11; [Epub ahead of print]
- Reynolds JD, Ahearn GS, Angelo M, Zhang J, Cobb F, Stamler JS. S-nitrosohemoglobin deficiency: A mechanism for loss of physiological activity in banked blood. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007 Oct 11 [Epub ahead of print]
- Britain may 'never be rid of vCJD threat' without screening (24 Sept. 2007)
- Chagas' disease parasite found in desert blood samples (17 Aug. 2007)
- FDA strengthens safety information for erythropoiesis-stimulating agents(9 Mar. 2007)
- UK Health Protection Agency: 4th case of transfusion-associated vCJD (18 Jan. 2007) Erythropoiesis-stimulating agents
- Should we still be worried about vCJD? (10 Jan. 2007)
- UK: 24 patients transfused with vCJD contaminated blood at substantial risk
- Advisory Committee on Blood Safety and Availability (USA HHS) | version
- UK Serious Hazards of Transfusion (SHOT):
- Transfusion reactions (S. Gerald Sandler & Viviana V. Johnson, emedicine.com)
- Transfusion complications (extensive reading list of published papers)
- McClelland B, Marcela Contreras M. Appropriateness and safety of blood transfusion (editorial) (Br Med J 2005 Jan 15;330:104-5)
- Special report: BSE and CJD (Guardian Unlimited - on-going updates)
- Bakdash S, Yazer MH. What every physician should know about transfusion reactions. CMAJ 2007 Jul 17; 177(2):141-7.
- Baldwin AL. Blood substitutes and redox responses in the microcirculation. Antioxid Redox Signal 2004 Dec;6(6):1019-30.
- Bar-Or D, Thomas GW, Bar-Or R, Rael LT, Scarborough K, Rao N, Shimonkevitz R. Commercial human albumin preparations for clinical use are immunosuppressive in vitro. Crit Care Med 2006 Jun;34(6):1707-12.
- Bernard AC, Davenport DL, Chang PK, Vaughan TB, Zwischenberger JB. Intraoperative transfusion of 1 U to 2 U packed red blood cells is associated with increased 30-day mortality, surgical-site infection, pneumonia, and sepsis in general surgery patients. J Am Coll Surg. 2009 May; 208(5):931-7, 937.e1-2; discussion 938-9.
- Bernard A, Meier C, Lopez N, May J, Chang P, Boulanger B, Kearney P. Packed red blood cell-associated arginine depletion is mediated by arginase. J Trauma. 2007 Nov;63(5):1108-12.
- Benson AB, Moss M, Silliman CC. Transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI): clinical review with emphasis on the critically ill. Br J Haematol. 2009 Aug 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bilgin YM, van de Watering LMG, Versteegh MI, van Oers MH, Vamvakas EC, Brand A. Postoperative complications associated with transfusion of platelets and plasma in cardiac surgery. Transfusion 2011;51.
- Bird SM. Recipients of blood or blood products "at vCJD risk" (editorial) (Br Med J, 17 Jan. 2004)
- Blajchman MA, Vamvakas EC. The continuing risk of transfusion-transmitted infections. N Engl J Med 2006 Sep 28;355(13):1303-5.
- Blajchman MA. The clinical benefits of the leukoreduction of blood products. J Trauma. 2006 Jun;60(6 Suppl):S83-90.
- Blajchman MA. Transfusion immunomodulation or TRIM: What does it mean clinically? Hematology 2005 Sep-Oct;10 Suppl 1:208-14.
- Bochicchio GV, Napolitano L, Joshi M, Bochicchio K, Meyer W, Scalea TM. Outcome analysis of blood product transfusion in trauma patients: A prospective, risk-adjusted study. World J Surg 2008 Jun 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brandt MM, Rubinfeld I, Jordan J, Trivedi D, Horst HM. Transfusion insurgency: practice change through education and evidence-based recommendations. Am J Surg 2009 Mar;197(3):279-83.
- Buddeberg F, Schimmer BB, Spahn DR. Transfusion-transmissible infections and transfusion-related immunomodulation. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 2008 Sep;22(3):503-17.
- Bueter M, Thalheimer A, Schuster F, Bock M, von Erffa C, Meyer D, Fein M. Transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI) - an important, severe transfusion-related complication. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2006 Aug 15; [Epub ahead of print]
- Bux J. Transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI): a serious adverse event of blood transfusion. Vox Sang 2005 Jul;89(1):1-10.
- Bux J, Sachs UJ. The pathogenesis of transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI). Br J Haemato. 2007 Mar;136(6):788-99.
- Chen G, Zhang FJ, Gong M, Yan M. Effect of perioperative autologous versus allogeneic blood transfusion on the immune system in gastric cancer patients. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 2007 Aug;8(8):560-5.
- Cherry T, Steciuk M, Reddy VV, Marques MB. Transfusion-related acute lung injury: past, present, and future. Am J Clin Pathol. 2008 Feb;129(2):287-97.
- Cornet AD, Zwart E, Kingma SD, Groeneveld AB. Pulmonary effects of red blood cell transfusion in critically ill, non-bleeding patients. Transfus Med. 2010 Mar 11.[Epub ahead of print]
- Croce MA, Tolley EA, Claridge JA, Fabian TC. Transfusions result in pulmonary morbidity and death after a moderate degree of injury. J Trauma 2005 Jul;59(1):19-24.
- Chutinimitkul S, Bhattarakosol P, Srisuratanon S, Eiamudomkan A, Kongsomboon K, Damrongwatanapokin S, et al. H5N1 influenza A virus and infected human plasma[letter]. Emerg Infect Dis [serial on the Internet]. 2006 Jun [Cited 6 May 2006].
- de Boer MT, Christensen MC, Asmussen M, van der Hilst CS, Hendriks HG, Slooff MJ, Porte RJ. The impact of intraoperative transfusion of platelets and red blood cells on survival after liver transplantation. Anesth Analg 2008 Jan;106(1):32-44.
- Dodd RY, Leiby DA. Emerging infectious threats to the blood supply. Annu Rev Med 2004;55:191-207.
- Dunne JR, Riddle MS, Danko J, Hayden R, Petersen K. Blood transfusion is associated with infection and increased resource utilization in combat casualties. Am Surg 2006 Jul;72(7):619-25; discussion 625-6.
- Eder AF et al. and the American Red Cross Regional Blood Centers. Bacterial screening of apheresis platelets and the residual risk of septic transfusion reactions: the American Red Cross experience (2004-2006). Transfusion 2007;47(7):1134-42.
- Engoren MC, Habib RH, Zacharias A, Schwann TA, Riordan CJ, Durham SJ. Effect of blood transfusion on long-term survival after cardiac operation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2002 Oct;74(4):1180-6.
- Escobar GA, Cheng AM, Moore EE, Johnson JL, Tannahill C, Baker HV, et al. Stored packed red blood cell transfusion upregulates inflammatory gene expression in circulating leukocytes. Ann Surg 2007 Jul;246(1):129-34.
- Feltracco P, Michieletto E, Barbieri S, Serra E, Rizzi S, Salvaterra F, Cillo U, Ori C. Microbiologic contamination of intraoperative blood salvaged during liver transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2007 Jul-Aug;39(6):1889-91.
- Fitzmaurice GJ, Parissis HD. Platelet Transfusion Associated With Acute Lung Injury After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 June;91(6):1977-79.
- Flesland O, Ip LS, Storlien AS, Spurkland A, Larsen J, Solheim BG. Microchimerism in immune competent patients related to the leukocyte content of transfused red blood cell concentrates. Transfus Apheresis Sci 2004 Dec;31(3):173-80.
- Frietsch T, Karger R, Schöler M, Huber D, Bruckner T, Kretschmer V, et al. Leukodepletion of autologous whole blood has no impact on perioperative infection rate and length of hospital stay. Transfusion. 2008 Jun 18.
- Glance LG, Dick AW, Mukamel DB, Fleming FJ, Zollo RA, Wissler R, et al. Association between Intraoperative Blood Transfusion and Mortality and Morbidity in Patients Undergoing Noncardiac Surgery. Anesthesiology 2011 February;114(2):283-29.
- Gong MN, Thompson BT, Williams P, Pothier L, Boyce PD, Christiani DC. Clinical predictors of and mortality in acute respiratory distress syndrome: Potential role of red cell transfusion. Crit Care Med 2005 Jun;33(6):1191-8.
- Gould S, Cimino MJ, Gerber DR. Packed red blood cell transfusion in the intensive care unit: limitations and consequences. Am J Crit Care 2007 Jan;16(1):39-48.
- Gunst MA, Minei JP. Transfusion of blood products and nosocomial infection in surgical patients. Curr Opin Crit Care 2007 Aug;13(4):428-32.
- Hecht-Dolnik M, Barkan H, Taharka A, Loftus J. Hetastarch increases the risk of bleeding complications in patients after off-pump coronary bypass surgery: a randomized clinical trial. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2009 Sep;138(3):703-11. Epub 2009 May 27.
- Hendrickson JE, Hillyer CD. Noninfectious serious hazards of transfusion. Anesth Analg. 2009 Mar;108(3):759-69.
- Hladik W, et al. Transmission of human herpesvirus 8 by blood transfusion. N Engl J Med 2006 Sep 28;355(13):1331-8.
- Hod EA, Zhang N, Sokol SA, Wojczyk BS, Francis RO, Ansaldi D, et al. Transfusion of red blood cells after prolonged storage produces harmful effects that are mediated by iron and inflammation. Blood. 2010 May 27;115(21):4284-4292.
- Houston F, McCutcheon S, Goldmann W, Chong A, Foster J, Siso S, et al. Prion diseases are efficiently transmitted by blood transfusion in sheep. Blood 2008 Jul 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- JKamper-Jørgensen M, Ahlgren M, Rostgaard K, Melbye M, Edgren G, Nyrén O, et al. Survival after blood transfusion. Transfusion 2008 Jul 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kemperman M, Neitzel D, Jensen K, et al. Anaplasma phagocytophilum transmitted through blood transfusion --- Minnesota, 2007. CDC MMWR. 2008 Oct. 24;57:1145-8.
- Kertai MD, Tiszai-Szucs T, Varga KS, Hermann C, Acsady G, Gal J. Intraoperative use of packed red blood cell transfusion and mortality in patients undergoing abdominal or thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm surgery. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 2009 Apr 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Khan H, Belsher J, Yilmaz M, Afessa B, Moore SB, Hubmayr RD, Gajic O. Fresh frozen plasma and platelet transfusions are associated with development of acute lung injury in critically ill medical patients. Chest 2007 Mar 30.
- Klein HG. How safe is blood, really? Biologicals 2010 Jan 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Koch C, Li L, Figueroa P, Mihaljevic T, Svensson L, Blackstone EH. Transfusion and pulmonary morbidity after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009 Nov;88(5):1410-8.
- Koch CG, Li L, Duncan AI, Mihaljevic T, Loop FD, Starr NJ, Blackstone EH. Transfusion in coronary artery bypass grafting is associated with reduced long-term survival. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006 May;81(5):1650-7.
- Koch CG, Li L, Van Wagoner DR, Duncan AI, Gillinov AM, Blackstone EH. Red cell transfusion is associated with an increased risk for postoperative atrial fibrillation. Ann Thorac Surg 2006 Nov;82(5):1747-56.
- Koch CG, Li L, Duncan AI, Mihaljevic T, Cosgrove DM, Loop FD, Starr NJ, Blackstone EH. Morbidity and mortality risk associated with red blood cell and blood-component transfusion in isolated coronary artery bypass grafting* Crit Care Med 006 Apr 4; [Epub ahead of print]
- Kulier A, Levin J, Moser R, Rumpold-Seitlinger G, Tudor IC, Snyder-Ramos SA, Moehnle P, Mangano DT; Investigators of the Multicenter Study of Perioperative Ischemia Research Group; Ischemia Research and Education Foundation. Impact of preoperative anemia on outcome in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Circulation. 2007 Jul 31;116(5):471-9.
- Kuitunen AH, Hynynen MJ, Vahtera E, Salmenpera MT. Hydroxyethyl starch as a priming solution for cardiopulmonary bypass impairs hemostasis after cardiac surgery. Anesth Analg. 2004 Feb; 98(2): 291-7.
- Madjdpour C, Heindl V, Spahn DR. Risks, benefits, alternatives and indications of allogenic blood transfusions. Minerva Anestesiol 2006 May;72(5):283-98.
- Mangalmurti NS, Xiong Z, Hulver M, Ranganathan M, Liu XH, Oriss T, Fitzpatrick M, Rubin M, Triulzi D, Choi A, Lee JS. Loss of red cell chemokine scavenging promotes transfusion related lung inflammation. Blood. 2008 Dec 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mangano DT, Tudor IC, Dietzel C, Multicenter Study of Perioperative Ischemia Research Group; Ischemia Research and Education Foundation. The risk associated with aprotinin in cardiac surgery. N Engl J Med 2006 Jan 26;354(4):353-65.
- Marik PE, Corwin HL. Acute lung injury following blood transfusion: Expanding the definition. Crit Care Med. 2008 Sep 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mathew JP, Mackensen GB, Phillips-Bute B, Stafford-Smith M, Podgoreanu MV, Grocott HP, Hill SE, Smith PK, Blumenthal JA, Reves JG, Newman MF; Neurologic Outcome Research Group (NORG) of the Duke Heart Center. Effects of extreme hemodilution during cardiac surgery on cognitive function in the elderly. Anesthesiology 2007 Oct;107(4):577-84.
- MMWR. Fatal Bacterial Infections Associated with Platelet Transfusions --- United States, 2004. MMWR 2005 Feb25;54(07):168-70.
- Murphy GJ. Does blood transfusion harm cardiac surgery patients? BMC Med. 2009 Jul 31;7:38.
- Murphy GJ, Reeves BC, Rogers CA, Rizvi SI, Culliford L, Angelini GD. Increased mortality, postoperative morbidity, and cost after red blood cell transfusion in patients having cardiac surgery. Circulation. 2007 Nov 12; [Epub ahead of print]
- Natanson C, J.Kern SJ, Lurie P, Banks SM, Wolfe SM. Cell-free hemoglobin-based blood substitutes and risk of myocardial infarction and death. a meta-analysis. JAMA. 2008;299(19):(doi:10.1001/jama.299.19.jrv80007).
- Ngaage DL, Cowen ME, Griffin S, Guvendik L, Cale AR. Early neurological complications after coronary artery bypass grafting and valve surgery in octogenarians. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2008 Feb 12 [Epub ahead of print]
- Netzer G, Shah CV, Iwashyna TJ, Lanken PN, Finkel B, Fuchs B, et al. Association of RBC transfusion with mortality in patients with acute lung injury. Chest 2007 Oct;132(4):1116-23.
- Nikolsky E, Mehran R, Sadeghi HM, Grines CL, Cox DA, Garcia E, et al. Prognostic impact of blood transfusion after primary angioplasty for acute myocardial infarction: analysis from the CADILLAC (Controlled Abciximab and Device Investigation to Lower Late Angioplasty Complications) Trial. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2009 Jul;2(7):633-5.
- Nishimura M, Takanashi M, Okazaki H, Satake M. Detection of anti-CD32 alloantibody in donor plasma implicated in development of transfusion-related acute lung injury. Cell Biochem Funct 2005 Nov 15; [Epub ahead of print]
- Perpoint T, Lina G, Poyart C, de Barbeyrac B, Traineau R, Jeanne M, Vandenesch F, Etienne J. Two cases of fatal shock after transfusion of platelets contaminated by Staphylococcus aureus: role of superantigenic toxins. Clin Infect Dis 2004 Nov 15;39(10):e106-9.
- Petraszko T. Transfusion-Related Acute Lung Injury (TRALI) (Canadian Blood Services educational website)
- Ploeg A, Lange C, Lardenoye JW, Breslau P. Nosocomial infections after peripheral arterial bypass surgery. World J Surg 2007 Jun 6; [Epub ahead of print] (will link shortly)
- Raat NJ, Ince C. Oxygenating the microcirculation: the perspective from blood transfusion and blood storage. Vox Sang 2007 Jul;93(1):12-8.
- Raghavan M, Marik PE. Anemia, allogenic blood transfusion, and immunomodulation in the critically ill. Chest 2005 Jan;127(1):295-307.
- Ranucci M, Pazzaglia A, Bianchini C, Bozzetti G, Isgrò G. Body size, gender, and transfusions as determinants of outcome after coronary operations. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008 Feb;85(2):481-6.
- Rao SV, et al. Relationship of blood transfusion and clinical outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndromes. JAMA 2004;292:1555-62.
- Rawn J. The silent risks of blood transfusion. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2008 Oct;21(5):664-8.
- Reeves BC, Murphy GJ. Increased mortality, morbidity, and cost associated with red blood cell transfusion after cardiac surgery. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 2008 Oct;21(5):669-73.
- Relevy H, Koshkaryev A, Manny N, Yedgar S, Barshtein G. Blood banking-induced alteration of red blood cell flow properties. Transfusion 2007 Sep 27.
- Rogers MAM , Blumberg N, Saint S Langa KM, Nallamothu BK. Hospital variation in transfusion and infection after cardiac surgery: a cohort study. BMC Medicine 2009 31 Jul, 7:37doi:10.1186/1741-7015-7-37.
- Rogers MA, Blumberg N, Heal JM, Hicks GL Jr. Increased risk of infection and mortality in women after cardiac surgery related to allogeneic blood transfusion. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2007 Dec;16(10):1412-20.
- Rogers MA, Blumberg N, Saint SK, Kim C, Nallamothu BK, Langa KM. Allogeneic blood transfusions explain increased mortality in women after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Am Heart J. 2006 Dec;152(6):1028-34.
- SABM. Use of albumin in critically ill patients: effect on morbidity (26 Oct. 2004, SABM)
- Sarani B, Dunkman WJ, Dean L, Sonnad S, Rohrbach JI, Gracias VH. Transfusion of fresh frozen plasma in critically ill surgical patients is associated with an increased risk of infection. Crit Care Med. 2008 Apr;36(4):1114-8.
- Scott BH, Seifert FC, Grimson R. Blood transfusion is associated with increased resource utilisation, morbidity and mortality in cardiac surgery. Ann Card Anaesth. 2008 Jan-Jun;11(1):15-9.
- Sedrakyan A, Gondek K, Paltiel D, Elefteriades JA. Volume expansion with albumin decreases mortality after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Chest 2003 Jun;123(6):1853-7.
- Serefhanoglu K, Turan H, Saba T, Ozer I, Tosun E, Arslan H. Transfusion-associated graft-versus-host disease in an immunocompetent individual following cardiac surgery. J Natl Med Assoc 2005 Mar;97(3):418-20.
- Shander A, Spence RK, Adams D, Shore-Lesserson L, Walawander CA. Timing and incidence of postoperative infections associated with blood transfusion: analysis of 1,489 orthopedic and cardiac surgery patients. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2009 Jun;10(3):277-83.
- Shander A, Popovsky MA. Understanding the consequences of transfusion-related acute lung injury. Chest 2005 Nov;128(5_suppl_2):598S-604S.
- Shorr AF, Jackson WL. Transfusion practice and nosocomial infection: assessing the evidence. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2005 Oct;11(5):468-72.
- Simak J, Gelderman MP. Cell membrane microparticles in blood and blood products: potentially pathogenic agents and diagnostic markers. Transfus Med Rev 2006 Jan;20(1):1-26.
- Skeate RC, Eastlund T. Distinguishing between transfusion related acute lung injury and transfusion associated circulatory overload. Curr Opin Hematol. 2007 Nov;14(6):682-7.
- Solheim BG, Flesland O, Seghatchian J, Brosstad F. Clinical implications of red blood cell and platelet storage lesions: an overview. Transfus Apheresis Sci 2004 Dec;31(3):185-9.
- Spiess BD. Transfusion of blood products affects outcome in cardiac surgery. Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2004 Dec;8(4):267-81.
- Spiess BD, Royston D, Levy JH, Fitch J, Dietrich W, Body S, et al. Platelet transfusions during coronary artery bypass graft surgery are associated with serious adverse outcomes. Transfusion. 2004 Aug;44(8):1143-8.
- Surgenor SD, Kramer RS, Olmstead EM, Ross CS, Sellke FW, Likosky DS, et al; Northern New England Cardiovascular Disease Study Group. The association of perioperative red blood cell transfusions and decreased long-term survival after cardiac surgery. Anesth Analg. 2009 Jun;108(6):1741-6.
- Swanson K, Dwyre DM, Krochmal J, Raife TJ. Transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI): Current clinical and pathophysiologic considerations. Lung 2006 May-Jun;184(3):177-85.
- Vamvakas EC. Uses and sources of data on long-term survival after blood transfusion. Transfus Med Rev 2003 Jul;17(3):194-208.
- Vamvakas EC, Blajchman MA. Blood still kills: six strategies to further reduce allogeneic blood transfusion-related mortality. Transfus Med Rev. 2010 Apr;24(2):77-124.
- Vamvakas EC, Blajchman MA. Transfusion-related mortality: The on-going risks of allogeneic blood transfusion and the available strategies for their prevention. Blood. 2009 Feb 2.
- Vamvakas EC, Blajchman MA. Transfusion-related immunomodulation (TRIM): An update. Blood Rev. 2007 Sep 3.
- Vivacqua A, Koch CG, Nowicki ER, Houghtaling PL, Blackstone EH, Sabik JF. Morbidity of Bleeding After Cardiac Surgery: Is It Blood Transfusion, Reoperation for Bleeding, or Both? Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 June;91(6):1780-1790.
- Watson GA, Sperry JL, Rosengart MR, Minei JP, Harbrecht BG, Moore EE, Cuschieri J, Maier RV, Billiar TR, Peitzman AB; Inflammation and Host Response to Injury Investigators. Fresh frozen plasma is independently associated with a higher risk of multiple organ failure and acute respiratory distress syndrome. J Trauma. 2009 Aug;67(2):221-7; discussion 228-30.
- Weinberg JA, McGwin G Jr, Griffin RL, Huynh VQ, Cherry SA 3rd, Marques MB, et al. Age of transfused blood: an indepen- dent predictor of mortality despite universal leukoreduction. J Trauma. 2008 Aug;65(2):279-82; discussion 282-4.
- Weinberg JA, McGwin G Jr, Marques MB, Cherry SA 3rd, Reiff DA, Kerby JD, Rue LW 3rd. Transfusions in the less severely injured: does age of transfused blood affect outcomes? J Trauma 2008 Oct;65(4):794-8.
- Wiedermann CJ. Hydroxyethyl starch--can the safety problems be ignored? Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2004 Sep 30;116(17- 18):583-94.
- Win N, Chapman CE, Bowles KM, Green A, Bradley S, Edmondson D, Wallis JP. How much residual plasma may cause TRALI? Transfus Med. 2008 Oct;18(5):276-80.
- Wu WC, Schifftner TL, Henderson WG, Eaton CB, Poses RM, Uttley G, et al. Preoperative hematocrit levels and postopera tive outcomes in older patients undergoing noncardiac surgery. JAMA. 2007 Jun 13;297(22):2481-8.
- Zallen G, Offner PJ, Moore EE, Blackwell J, Ciesla DJ, Gabriel J, et al. Age of transfused blood is an independent risk factor for postinjury multiple organ failure. Am J Surg. 1999 Dec; 178(6):570-2.
- Zilberberg MD, Shorr AF. Effect of a restrictive transfusion strategy on transfusion-attributable severe acute complications and costs in the US ICUs: a model simulation. BMC Health Services Research 2007;7:138 (31 Aug. 2007)
- Zilberberg MD, Carter C, Lefebvre P, Raut M, Vekeman F, Duh MS, Shorr AF. Red blood cell transfusions and the risk of acute respiratory distress syndrome among critically ill: a cohort study. Crit Care 2007 Jun 6;11(3):R63 [Epub ahead of print]